Company Name: Associated Magazines
Post: Content Manager – Cosmopolitan
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
Closing Date: 13/05/2015
Level of Experience: Senior
Education: Diploma or equivalent
Job Category: Editorial
• Create a 24-hour content hub: be proactive and reactive to COSMO-related breaking news and jump onto any news stories that need attention inside and outside of working hours
• Alongside the Editor and Senior Digital Producer, plan a content strategy across all platforms that grows and converts audience, and is commercially profitable
• Maintain and fine-tune existing systems to ensure the entire team is contributing
• Plan a newsletter strategy to grow open rates and click-throughs, and that honours all advertising commitments
• Be a millennial expert: ride the wave of pop culture, fashion, beauty, FFF lifestyle, politics and ensure the content is 100% relevant to the reader
• Create at least 1 – 2 pieces of digital content per day that is focused and purposeful, and maximized for SEO
• Reinforce Cosmopolitan’s position as a millennial authority in the South African market by building an engaged and active audience through social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram) during working hours, at work functions, through our dedicated COSMO handles or, where applicable, in your personal capacity
• Commission, write and edit features for the magazine
• Ensure we are syndicating at least 60 – 70% of the magazine monthly
• Oversee all in-house and freelance content producers
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Manages the text content production for the brand:
•Manages and liaises with text-content producers, internal and external, on all editorial
•Builds relationships with writers to ensure strong features
•Negotiates freelance rates (in line with Associated Magazines rates)
•Finalizes and communicates clear briefs to freelancers and text-content producers, and thereafter administers content to completion, ensuring copy is always in on deadline
•Meets picture editor after features have been commissioned to discuss topics and subjects to be photographed
•Mentors and nurtures more-junior content producers; finds and develops new writing talent, particularly black writers
•Keeps up-to-date on general and news knowledge
•Maintains a strong network of contacts
•Has a good knowledge of current international Cosmopolitan content, available syndication material (and what stories/subjects already covered)
•Working alongside the digital team to generate online and digital content
•Create at least 1 – 2 pieces of digital content per day that is focused and purposeful, and maximized for SEO
Editorial and feature management:
•Convenes features meetings timeously
•Originates editorial ideas and sources stories, including those with local content.
•Assists the editor in compiling the features list, ensuring a balanced mix of features.
•Draws up the booklist and keeps it updated, circulating it to Cape Town staff as well as the Joburg bureau.
•Participates in discussion of content and cover options, and assists with cover lines
•Edits/rewrites/localises and/or writes a share of the features and single pages, ensuring copy is right for Cosmo.
•Writes headlines, intros and captions when necessary.
•Double-checks potentially libelous or controversial articles, asking sub-editors to return them for sign-off after lay-out.
•Helps oversee adherence to the magazine’s brand values and reader profile.
•Ensures that appropriate women for Cosmopolitan appear in the publication.
•At book make-up, checks that the flow and pace of features is good and that there aren’t any repetitions or contradictions.
Develops and maintains contact with people in the travel industry with a view to getting trips for Cosmo to destinations of interest to its readers.
Responds to queries and all incoming correspondence on editorial submissions.
Contributes to the publication’s overall stance on issues and engages in PR and publicity if required.
Takes responsibility for all text content producers across all platforms, including close contact with Johannesburg staff (ensuring communication is such that they are completely au fait with what’s happening in the Cape Town office, and that Johannesburg bureau makes a significant contribution to the brand).
Assists the editor as and when needed.
The content manager needs to:
•have three or four years’ publishing experience (print and digital), and have a good grasp of the interests of their readers;
•have a good knowledge of — and a love for — the English language;
•have an interest in and a good knowledge of popular culture in South Africa and internationally;
•be able to work with copy on a wide variety of topics, from fashion and beauty to finance and psychology;
•be comfortable working with features on sex;
•be able to motivate and guide writers;
•have good organisational skills;
•handle deadlines and work effectively under pressure
•be computer literate (Microsoft Office Suite and the Internet)
•generate orginal, fresh, new and exciting ideas for both editorial and commercial pillars
•have a strong contact list of freelance writers and editors
How to apply:
Go here to apply.